Corporate Counsel - The Windquest Group - Grand Rapids, MI
DIVISION: WINDQUEST GROUP Inc
POSITION: Corporate Counsel
LOCATION: The Windquest Group
Windquest Group (TWG) is a Michigan-based, privately held enterprise and investment management firm with diversified operations in technology, manufacturing, clean-tech, and nonprofit solutions. The core portfolio companies include Boxed Water is Better, Coppercraft Distillery, Neurocore, Reserve Wine & Food, Ridge Cider, and The Stow Company.
This position will provide comprehensive, analytical, and responsive legal expertise to The Windquest's family office, investment team, and affiliated companies. This position will assist with family private equity, general commercial, intellectual property, healthcare, and liquor control legal matters and other projects as needed. This is a full-time, salaried/exempt position.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve as the point of contact for a wide variety of legal issues related to Windquest's and its affiliated companies. Areas of emphasis include commercial law, venture finance, intellectual property law, healthcare law, and liquor control law.
- Conduct legal analysis of potential investment opportunities and other business endeavors.
- Review and draft documentation for purchases, dispositions, and modifications of investments within the portfolio, including documents such as limited liability company agreements, subscription agreements, note purchase agreements, co-investment participations, shareholder agreements, and internal investment vehicles.
- Draft, review, negotiate, and advise on various types of contracts or documentation related to investment and mergers and acquisition agreements.
- Manage the legal negotiations, oversight of due diligence, and the closing and post-closing elements of Windquest's transactions.
Regulatory Compliance; Legal Administration
- Ensure Windquest's manages its legal and compliance affairs effectively and efficiently.
- Keep executives and management-level staff informed of all regulatory and legal changes that affect Windquest's or its affiliated companies.
- Draft, implement, and train staff on legal and compliance policies.
- Recommend operational and policy changes in response to applicable laws and regulations.
- Anticipate legal issues and opportunities by keeping current with changes in the legal environments in which Windquest's and its affiliated companies operate.
- Develop strategic relationships and alliances with outside counsel and, if needed, coordinate work with outside counsel.
- Create template agreements and develop legal processes that can be scaled for different situations.
- Attend meetings with portfolio companies, as needed.
- Manage or assist in managing litigation and legal claims involving Windquest's and portfolio companies.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Licensed to practice law in the state of Michigan, or be able and willing to obtain reciprocity in Michigan within a reasonable amount of time.
- Law degree from an accredited law school.
- Minimum of two years of legal experience (private equity, mergers and acquisitions, venture finance, or general commercial). Experience with intellectual property law, healthcare law, and/or liquor control law preferred.
- Ability to systematize and implement policies and procedures.
- Strong attention to detail, problem solving, and analytical skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Outlook, and Word.
- Commitment to the highest level of confidentiality in all aspects of job responsibilities and must demonstrate a strong work ethic.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- The ability to thrive in an environment where coordination and teamwork is a priority, and have the ability to interact well with senior business executives.
- Flexibility and a willingness to adapt to the changing needs of an organization.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
THIS POSITION IS CURRENTLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS.